St. Peter's Church, Markby
ServicesServices are advertised on a board outside the church and visible from the road.
4th October - Harvest Festival 3pm
18th December - Carol Service 7pm
Our ChurchMarkby village is situated 3˝ miles from Alford and consists of about two dozen properties. It has the only thatched church in Lincolnshire, which is dedicated to St. Peter and stands on the site of an old Augustinian Priory, and in fact is partly built of stone rescued from the priory ruins.
After the founding of the priory in 1160, the local people were encouraged by the Canons to use the Priory Church. On the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII they obtained permission, first to use a comer of the old priory and then in 1611 to build the present church. In the first instance the roof was tiled, but in 1672 Richard White, churchwarden, substituted a thatch, taking the tiles as payment.
By the late 19th Century St. Peter's was in a sorry state and incapable of being used regularly so a new corrugated iron church, "Christ Church", was erected close by - the old church being retained for funerals and the occasional wedding. However by 1962 this “tin church” was rusting and irreparable so it was decided to renovate old St. Peter’s.
Today the interior of the church still bears traces of its history - the Norman dog-toothed decoration on the chancel arch, the former oak cross beam rescued from the roof bearing a date of 1611, together with the ancient font from the old parish church, the 13th Century rose sculpture and the 19th Century box pews.
The thatched roof was replaced in 2008.
Large parties of visitors, for example bus tours, may wish to know that refreshments can be provided by arrangement - please contact Beryl Tommis on 01507 462310.
Copyright © 2010-2015, Alford Group of Parishes.