Alford Group of Parishes

Well, St. Margaret

St. Margaret's Church, Well.

St. Margaret's Church, Well.

Our Church

Well is a hamlet with about 40 dwellings, some two miles from the centre of the market town of Alford. The small church of St. Margaretís sits on a hill-top, above a lake in parkland within the Well Vale estate. It was built in 1733 and replaced the village church, which had been at the foot of the hill where the original village used to be. Remains of the old churchyard can still be found near the lakeside.

St. Margaretís is orientated the wrong way about so that its classical entrance portico faces the front door of the early Georgian mansion known as Well Vale Hall. The interior is beautifully laid out in prayer-book style and with a gallery.

The college-style box pews face inwards and a towering three-decker pulpit dominates all. The Christmas Candlelit Carol Service attracts congregations that fill the church, as do weddings held here!

Pictures

Church Interior

Church Interior